Renew (or create) your mission, vision and values
This information will help you to compile a project for a volunteer to update your mission, vision and values statements.
You're likely to require the volunteer to have:
- Experience developing strategic statements
- Succinct writing skills
Likely project deliverables
The pro bono professional would:
- Update your current strategic statements (like vision, mission and values)
- Use compelling and concise messaging
An example of what the volunteer will deliver follows:
- Review the existing mission, vision and/or values, existing programmes and current and future plans
- Consult with key organisation members about their objectives with the new strategic statements
- Draft new mission, vision & values and seek feedback on them
- Revise and provide the updated statements
Estimated time required
A project like this could be expected to take the volunteer 12-20 hours over two-four weeks.
Example of project steps with time estimates
Step one: Volunteer reviews relevant materials
The charity gives the volunteer relevant information, for example existing strategic statements, annual report, link to the website, business plan, key messages.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two hours reading and reflecting
Step two: Volunteer briefing
Charity provides context and the volunteer has an opportunity to ask questions and test initial thinking
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two hours in preparation and meeting
Step three: Draft documents prepared
Volunteer drafts the requested document or output sends them to the organisation
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two hours
The organisation provides feedback on the draft (note, this may involve the volunteer attending a workshop; or the volunteer manager may collate any feedback and either email or discuss with the volunteer.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: none
Step four: Updated document prepared
Volunteer incorporates the feedback and updates the document or output, providing them to the charity with any explanatory comment.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two hours incorporating feedback and one hour meeting with charity (if needed).
Check: before you list this project your organisation will have:
- Identified the information that will brief and support the volunteer to do this project
- Made decisions about who needs to be consulted with and how
- Done the necessary thinking about what you need the changed strategic statements to achieve and what they need to reflect. You need to know what you want so you can give the volunteer guidance to deliver fit for purpose statements.