Strategic workshop facilitation
This information will help you compile a project for a volunteer to facilitate a strategic workshop to solve a problem, brainstorm a new idea or fast track a plan.
You're likely to require the volunteer to have:
- Experience facilitating strategic workshops / meetings
- A personable style
- Good communication and listening skills
Likely project deliverables
The pro bono professional will deliver:
- Review of information relating to the purpose of the workshop
- Facilitation of a half or one day strategic planning session with staff and / or board of your organisation
Estimated time required
A project like this could be expected to take the volunteer 5-8 hours over one week.
Example of project steps with time estimates
Step one: Volunteer reviews relevant materials
The not for profit gives the volunteer relevant information, for example project brief, strategic plan or SWOT analysis.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: one hour reading and reflecting
Step two: Background call
Volunteer has a short 30-minute call with the organisation to confirm the goals of the meeting and discuss the structure / flow of the workshop.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: 30 minutes on call
Step three: Strategic planning workshop
Volunteer and organisation members meet at agreed location and complete a half or full-day workshop.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: 3-6 hours depending on the agreed length of workshop
Step four: Follow up
Volunteer sends the organisation recommendations or follow up notes relating to the workshop.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: one hour writing notes and one hour meeting with charity (if needed).
Check: before you list this project your organisation will have:
- Have you clearly identified and articulated why you need a strategic workshop?
- Made a decision about who needs to attend (incl. staff, CEO, stakeholders, board of trustees)
- Identified the information the volunteer will require to prepare for and facilitate the workshop.