Creating an elevator pitch
This information will help you compile a project for a volunteer to help you craft a succinct elevator pitch that you can use when pitching or communicating about your organisation.
You're likely to require the volunteer to have:
- Experience creating elevator pitches
- Communications skills including writing for marketing purposes
Likely project deliverables
The pro bono professional will deliver the following:
- A short script that captures who your organisation is, why what you do matters, and the clear "ask" or "call to action".
Estimated time required
A project like this could be expected to take the volunteer 5-8 hours over one week.
Example of project steps with time estimates
Step one: Volunteer reviews relevant materials
The not for profit gives the volunteer relevant information about the organisation, for example strategic plan, SWOT information, mission statement, vision and goals.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: one hour reading and reflecting
Step two: Analysis and workshopping
Volunteer analyses material and may conduct a quick meeting / workshop with the not for profit to brainstorm key messages.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: one-two hours in preparation and meeting
Step three: Writing
Volunteer drafts the elevator pitch and sends to the organisation
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two hours
Step four: Feedback and finalising
Volunteer incorporates the feedback and updates the elevator pitch, and sends to the organisation to begin using.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: one hour
Check: before you list this project your organisation will have:
- Identified the information that will brief and support the volunteer to do this project
- Clarity on your 'ask' or call to action