Funding template guide
This information will help you compile a project for a volunteer to help you put together a template document that you can refer to when applying for grants.
You're likely to require the volunteer to have:
- Experience completing grant applications
- Communications skills including writing for marketing purposes
Likely project deliverables
The pro bono professional will deliver the following:
- Grant template outlining the key messages/information about your organisation such as mission statement, strategic plan, activities and budget
- Tips on how to customise a grant template to make it stand out
Estimated time required
A project like this could be expected to take the volunteer 8-10 hours over two weeks.
Example of project steps with time estimates
Step one: Volunteer reviews relevant materials
The not for profit gives the volunteer relevant information about the organisation, for example: previous grant applications, strategic plan, mission statement, vision, budget and goals.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two-three hours reading and reflecting
Step two: Brainstorming session
Volunteer and not for profit get together to brainstorm key messages and information required to create a useful grant template
Likely time commitment for volunteer: one-two hours in meeting
Step three: Writing
Volunteer drafts the grant application template and sends to the organisation for review
Likely time commitment for volunteer: three-four hours
Step four: Feedback and finalising
Volunteer incorporates the feedback and updates the template, and sends to the organisation to begin using.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two hours
Check: before you list this project your organisation will have:
- Identified the information that will brief and support the volunteer to do this project including your strategic documents and previous grant applications
- Know what type of information you want in your template, that is commonly requested by funders
- Your availability to attend brainstorming meeting and review the draft