This information will help you compile a project for a volunteer to create key messages and a tone of voice for your brand.
You're likely to require the volunteer to have:
- Experience in brand management, marketing, communications or advertising
- Experience leading a branding exercise (preferable)
Likely project deliverables
The pro bono professional will deliver the following:
- A document that outlines your organisation’s tone of voice and key messages
- Creation of tailored messaging for different mediums e.g. website, printed collateral, verbal presentations
Estimated time required
A project like this could be expected to take the volunteer 15-20 hours over 1-2 months
Example of project steps with time estimates
Step one: Materials and information supplied to volunteer
The not for profit gives the volunteer existing and relevant information about the organisation, for example: strategic plan, marketing strategy/plan, mission statement, vision and goals.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: three-four hours reading and reflecting
Step two: Brainstorming session
The not for profit and volunteer meet to help the volunteer understand the organisation’s current reputation, landscape, vision, mission and activity.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two hours preparing for meeting and two hours in meeting
Step three: Completing brand messaging
Volunteer drafts the brand messaging and shares the information with the organisation.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: five to six hours
Step four: Feedback and finalising
Volunteer incorporates the feedback from the not for profit and updates the messaging, and delivers this to the organisation.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two hours
Check: before you list this project your organisation will have:
- Identified the information that will brief and support the volunteer to do this project including your strategic documents
- Know what you want your messages to convey