This information will help you compile a project for a volunteer to create a communications plan for your organisation.
You’re likely to require the volunteer to have:
- Experience in communications, marketing or public relations
- Experience in communications planning
Likely project deliverables
The pro bono professional will deliver the following:
- A review of your current communications approach including any goals, strategy or planning, , channels and target audiences
- Completion of a communications plan
- Messages for specific audiences and recommended delivery methods
Estimated time required
A project like this could be expected to take the volunteer 16-20 hours over 1-2 months
Example of project steps with time estimates
Step one: Materials and information supplied to volunteer
The not for profit gives the volunteer existing and relevant information about the organisation, for example: strategic plan and communications/marketing strategy/plan, any key communication documents and links to online information.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: three-four hours reading and preparing for next meeting
Step two: Brainstorming session
The not for profit and volunteer meet to discuss the current state, future objectives and begin workshopping the communications plan content.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two hours in meeting
Step three: Completing communications plan
Volunteer drafts the communications plan and shares this with the organisation.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: eight to ten hours
Step four: Meet to discuss the draft communications plan
Volunteer and the not for profit meet to discuss the draft
Likely time commitment for volunteer: one hour
Step five: Feedback and finalising
Volunteer incorporates the feedback from the not for profit and updates the plan, and delivers this to the organisation
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two hours
Check: before you list this project your organisation will have:
- Identified the information that will brief and support the volunteer to do this project including your strategic documents and plans
- Clear understanding of what your ojbectives are to provide the volunteer with direction
- Knowledge of your target audiences and existing communications channels