This information will help you compile a project for a volunteer to put together a marketing strategy for your organisation.
You're likely to require the volunteer to have:
- Experience developing marketing strategies
- Experience in marketing and brand management and related fields
Likely project deliverables
The pro bono professional will deliver the following:
- A strategy that outlines your marketing goals, target audiences and strategies
- Analysis of your audience segments
- A plan that outlines how to deliver the marketing strategies
- Metrics that identify how you will measure success
Estimated time required
A project like this could be expected to take the volunteer 20-25 hours over 1-2 months
Example of project steps with time estimates
Step one: Materials and information supplied to volunteer
The not for profit gives the volunteer relevant information about the organisation, for example: strategic plan, mission statement, vision, budget and goals.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: three-four hours reading and reflecting
Step two: Brainstorming session
The not for profit and volunteer meet to discuss the marketing goals, target audiences and possible strategies, as well as the steps for the project.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two hours preparing for meeting and two hours in meeting
Step three: Completing marketing strategy
Volunteer drafts the marketing strategy and shares the information with the organisation. In this step, the volunteer may choose to share the strategy with the not for profit in a number of draft formats e.g. when target audiences have been completed, when strategies are completed, when the full draft is completed.
Likely time commitment for volunteer: 10-12 hours
Step four: Feedback and finalising
Volunteer incorporates the feedback from the not for profit and updates the strategy, and delivers this to the organisation
Likely time commitment for volunteer: two hours
Check: before you list this project your organisation will have:
- Identified the information that will brief and support the volunteer to do this project including your strategic documents
- Clear about marketing goals and target audiences Identified staff capacity and budget available to implement the strategy, to support the volunteer delivering a plan that is right sized.